Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Liesa's chocolate cheesecake

Individual size chocolate cheesecake topped with strawberry.


I am not one for keeping recipes to myself, but if I was, then this is the one I would keep. It makes appearances only on special occassions like Christmas and birthdays. I have made mini sized cheesecakes in mini muffin tins for parties and individual servings for the family in regular sized muffin tins. At Christmas we always decorate it with Ferrerro Rocher chocolates just to make it a little bit more special.


Base:

1 packet Arnotts choc ripple biscuits (crushed to fine crumbs)
1/4 cup butter, melted


Cheesecake:

250g good quality dark chocolate
1 block (250g) Cream cheese
1/3 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup nutella (or a bit more cause it is so yummy)
1/4 cup boiling water
2 1/2 tsp powdered gelatine
600ml thickened cream
1/4 cup nutella (decoration)


Method:

Line base of a springform pan with baking paper cut out to fit base. Combine biscuit crumbs and melted butter and press into base of pan. Refrigerate until hardened.
Next, soften the cream cheese. I soften my cream cheese on med-low power and then beat it together with the icing sugar. Set aside. Melt chocolate in microwave on med power until smooth. While chocolate is melting whip half the cream (300ml) until soft peaks form. Set aside. Add melted chocolate to cream cheese mix along with the nutella. Disolve gelatine in water until it is clear. Add to mixture and beat until smooth and well combined. Now, with a metal spoon, gently fold the whipped cream through the cheesecake mixture until it is all combined.
Spoon into ther pan over the base and chill for 2 hours or until set.
Topping:
Whip the remainder of the cream until just whipped, use a heaped spoonful and mix together with the nutella to soften it a bit. Once the nutella is a thinner consistency, gently add it to the remaining cream, swirling to give a marbled effect. Spoon or pipe on to set cheesecake, or decorate as desired.
Note: When making smaller ones in muffin tins, for easy removal you must line the base with small rounds of baking paper or they are too difficult to remove in one piece. Trust me!



5 comments:

Tara said...

I remember when I was visiting AUS when I was 17 over Christmas and you made this - it was the best I've ever had. I went back to the US and tried making it but it didn't work. I'll have to give it another go because I still have dreams about the one you made 10 years ago. I love the muffin tin idea too.

Tania said...

OOOOh - I have been wanting this. It's the one you made when we were there for Easter. Yum. I am FOR SURE going to try this. Maybe for General Conference weekend ...

Jeni said...

Also excited to try this even though I've never tasted it. Guess we need to come over a holiday.

Emma said...

wow, it is not easy looking at this blog when I'm trying not to eat junk food! These look so yummy and some day I'll have to splurg and make them. Then I'll probably splurg some more and eat them all myself!

Mum and Dad said...

Liesa, I was checking out your blog, I had this on my screen, when Kate walked into the room and said, "Ooooh, that looks yummy!" . We looked at some more things together and when we got to the ones without pictures she pointed that out. I told her I would complain to you for her, she grinned shyly. I told her we may try the turkey lasagna tomorrow night (too late tonight) as we have rather a lot of leftover turkey in the fridge. Great site though. Everything looks so yummy.

Love you and your Four Hungry Boys. Love Andrew too.