Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Potato Scallopini


This is a Wilson family favourite and my Mother-in-law makes it regularly for big family dinners. No one can rival how good hers tastes, even with the same ingredients. It must be something about not having cooked it yourself.
The quantity is according to preference. The basic ingredients are cooked, sliced potatoes, cooked bacon pieces (diced ham in US) sliced spring onions (shallots) sour cream (I use light sour cream), grated cheese.
Method:
In a baking dish layer potato slices to cover bottom, spread with sour cream, sprinkle with bacon pieces and shallots then repeat with potato again and so on. When layers have finished top with grated cheese and a bit of bacon and bake in 180C oven until warmed through and cheese on top has browned slightly. Lovely with a fresh salad to balance out the richness of the dish.


4 comments:

Tara said...

I can't believe I've never tried making this, it's seems so simple. I'm setting a goal to make it by the end of next week (minus the bacon of course).

Liesa said...

Tara, you could try substituting a vege for the bacon. I would suggest something with a strong (maybe salty) flavour to maintain the flavour of the dish. Maybe try adding some marinated, semi-dried tomatoes as the flavour should cary through the acallopini.

Corinne said...

Glad to see you back at it. These all look so yummy, I don't know which one to try first. I'm really hopeless with ingredient-only recipes. I'll give it a go.

Tara said...

I lived up to my goal and made this over the weekend. It was yummy - Greg even said it was better than his Mum's. (I did put ham on his half).