Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Best ever caramel slice


I have tried lots of recipes for caramel slice but this is the easiest and tastiest. I hate slicing it and having the chocolate crack in the wrong place. O.C.D. I know! This recipe works for me.


Base:

1 C plain flour
1/2 C dessicated coconut
1/2 Cbrown sugar1/2 block (125g) butter, melted


Caramel filling:

1/3 C golden syrup
125g melted butter
2 cans (395 or 400mls) sweetened condensed milk


Chocolate topping:

250g dark or milk chocolate (according to preference)
2 Tbs vegetable oil

Mix together the dry ingredients for the base and then add the melted butter. Press into a 20 x 30cm slice tin lined with baking paper and bake in 180C oven for 16-18 mins or until slightly brown around edges.

For the filling, place all the ingredients in a pan over low heat and stir constantly until caramel has thickened slightly (usually 7-8 mins). Pour over the cooked base and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.

To make topping, gently melt chocolate and oil together until smooth and glossy. When it is completely cooled, spread with chocolate mixture and leave to set. Slice. Makes 28


8 comments:

Tara said...

Emma told me she just made caramel slice a couple of weeks ago and I've been craving it ever since so perfect timing for posting the recipe.

I just realised that I said I'm going to make every thing you've just posted - yikes. So much for my diet! Oh well, I worked out a lot over the last two weeks and gained 3 pounds so it's not really working any way.

Tara said...

I just got back from a tree planting ceremony with the prime minister and they served carmel slice for morning tea (I love this country - caramel slice for a mid morning snack). The only problem was that when they brought around the tray I was with some people from the Turkish Embassy and they pointed out something that was also on the tray that was Turkish - I hesitated...do I take the caramel slice or do the diplomatic thing and try the Turkish dessert? Silently screaming inside I reached for the baklava, which was way too syrupy sweet for me. Then when the Turkish delegation left I went back to get a caramel slice, under the guise of getting something for Greg, but they were all gone. Now I really need to make some.

Liesa said...

Tara! You poor deprived girl. Very diplomatic of you. Next time tell them you would like to show them the traditional Australian way of eating caramel slice and stuff a whole one in your mouth! That way, you are making a cultural exchange and getting your fix too!

Tania said...

Liesa, is it half of the 125g's or is that what half the block is??

Now I just need to get my hands on some desicated coconut - I think I may have some stashed from our last trip ....

JN Designs said...

Liesa this looks so yummy, but I need some help on what some of the things are- dessicated coconut and golden syrup? Can you help, cause I really think I NEED (ha ha) to make this. Thanks

Brooke said...

Yes, give us dumb Americans some help here! Is it like corn syrup? I have heard you can get dessicated coconut at Whole Foods--I am planning to make Lamington's soon, do you have a good recipe for that? Thanks for all the great food Liesa!

Liesa said...

Dessicated coconut is finely grated coconut which has not been sweetened. It is finer than shredded coconut. I don't think you could substitute the shredded for it as it needs to be finer and unsweetened. Try whole foods. For the golden syrup, try substituting light corn syrup and 1 Tbsp honey to make 1/3 cup.
The butter is 1/2 cup or 1 block in US measurements.
I hope that clears everything up.

JN Designs said...

Thanks for clearing things up Liesa. I can't wait to make this. It looks so yummy!